Semmering Railway Hike
Private Semmering Railway Tour
max 5 people per group
- Approx 4hr alpine forest hike along the route of world's oldest mountain railway - the UNESCO listed Semmeringbahn
- Private tours taken entirely at your group's pace & options for different start/end times
- Accompanied by a dedicated native english-speaking guide
- Be active and stay in shape on your vacation!
- For larger group bookings of more than 5 people, please get in touch via email to discuss the pricing options
8:40am - Meet & tour begins
We meet at the main entrance of Vienna’s central railway station, the ‘Hauptbanhof’, for initial introductions before getting our tickets & boarding the train. Head to the u-bahn station ‘Wien Hauptbanhof’ on the U1 red line – see the map below for full details of how to get there.
Train ride to Semmering
The train journey to Semmering, a famous skiing mountain near Vienna, takes around an hour and a half, so we have plenty of time to talk about the upcoming hike and to get to know each other better en route.
Semmering to 20 Schilling Blick
The first stage of our hiking route takes us from Semmering to what is arguably the most famous & spectacular viewpoint of the entire railway, one that was immortalised on the old 20 schilling note used in Austria before they adopted the euro.
Onwards to the Kalte Rinne Viaduct
Perhaps the most impressive visual spectacle along the entire Semmering Railway (and there’s a lot of competition in this category!) is the mighty two-tiered Kalte Rinne Viaduct. While railway enthusiasts may already be aware of this magnificent feat of engineering, anyone can appreciate how beautifully it has blended with nature, thanks to the visionary designer, Carl von Ghega.
Lunch in Breitenstein
We stop for much deserved refreshments at a traditional Austrian restaurant, where beer is served – hooray!
Slow train back to Vienna
On our return journey back to Vienna we use a regional train service to enjoy the rest of the mountain railway and its views at a nice steady pace. We’ll get back to Vienna’s Hauptbanhof at around 5:30pm.